Highline Beta works with world-class startups to partner with large companies and raise capital
We believe that startups can unlock unfair advantages by working with large companies, tapping into distribution, domain expertise, data, capital and more.
Highline Beta invests in startups that have a meaningful relationship with one of our corporate partners.
Learn more below on how we work with startups to help them win.
Seed Stage Investing in Startups
Through the Highline Beta Fund, we invest in seed stage startups that are partnered with one of our corporate clients.
You can take a look at our current portfolio to learn more about the investments we’ve made to-date.
A few key highlights of our investment strategy:
- Investment: Up to $300k 1st check (up to $1M per investment)
- Requirement: Meaningful relationship with one of our corporate partners (potentially through our Pilot Program Accelerators)
- Current Areas: FinTech, InsurTech, CPG, Sustainability and Smart Cities innovations
- Governance: No board seat
- Geography: Primarily North America, with a pan-Canadian focus
For startup co-creations going through our venture studio, the investment model is a bit different:
- Investment: Up to $500k (up to $1M per investment)
- Requirement: Participate in our corporate startup creation program (as a startup CEO or CTO)
- Current Areas: Industry agnostic, although focused in areas of interest of our corporate partners.
- Governance: Board seat
- Geography: All co-creations through our startup studio are built in our Toronto HQ (but founders could be from anywhere)
Highline Beta is one of the few Startup Visa designated entities in Canada. This allows us to help international founders fast track their entry into Canada.
We couldn’t be more excited to have an opportunity to invest in BanQu, a software company leveraging non-cryptocurrency blockchain technology to help unbanked populations in developing countries build financial identities.
The future of cars is electric. Perhaps the future of all mobility is electric. We’re excited about the future of EVs and believe in ChargeLab’s potential to become a key platform player in this space, driving charger installations and user growth in the market.
The brief history of Relay Platform: From deep dive with AmFam to spinning out and closing $3M in funding
We worked with American Family Insurance to help support the building and scaling of ventures outside of their company. That’s how we built Relay.
Pilot Program Accelerators
Our Pilot Program Accelerators are designed to help startups partner quickly with our corporate clients. Each program is typically 6 months in length, providing startups and corporates enough time to design and execute a pilot, and measure the results.
Along with our focus on executing successful pilots, Highline Beta provides active mentorship, support and programming. Our programs are typically run virtually with startups all over the world.
Benefits to Startups
- No Equity: We take no equity investment upfront; opportunity for follow-on investment from Highline Beta and Founding Partners
- Speed: Our sprint model is designed to fast-track startups to pilot corporate partnership in a 100 days or less.
- Mentorship: Through tailored programming and 1:1 coaching, the program helps startups get to a proof-of-concept faster.
- Access to Scale: Our enterprise network of leading collaborators provides an industry-wide ‘unfair advantage’ paired with product validation and scale. Amplify your brand awareness while fueling growth.
- Access to Funding: Potential funding and access to other institutional investors via the Highline Beta network.
All startups participating in a Highline Beta Pilot Program Accelerator receive a variety of perks. We regularly add to this list, which includes deals from companies such as Amazon AWS, Stripe, Segment, Hubspot, Google Cloud Platform, Airtable and more.
100+ Sustainability Accelerator
In partnership with AB InBev, Highline Beta runs the 100+ Sustainability Accelerator, now in its second cohort.
The accelerator is dedicated to solving problems in circular packaging, climate action, smart agriculture and water stewardship.
Safe x Connected Cities Accelerator
In partnership with Aviva Canada, Highline Beta runs the Safe x Connected Cities Accelerator program, currently in its first cohort.
The cohort’s focus is on safer roads, alongside Aviva Canada’s program, Take Back our Roads.
“We wouldn’t be where we are today without the support of AB InBev and Highline Beta. The 100+ Sustainability program accelerated our path to commercialization with AB InBev and other global organizations now adopting the BanQu platform in their supply chains. This AB InBev partnership has given us the credibility to secure additional customers and investors.”— Ashish Gadnis, Founder and CEO, BanQu
We’re always on the look out for founders that are interested in building companies through our venture studio model.
We provide founders with the necessary resources to validate and build out their business through user research, early product/MVP development and more.
And through our corporate relationships we look to connect co-created startups to large companies that can help accelerate their growth.
Are you a fit for our venture studio model?
- You have an idea for a new startup (or have built something) and have begun the validation process of identifying the problem, solution, customer segment and market potential (pre-seed / seed stage)
- Your startup would benefit from access to one of our corporate clients (although your startup does not have to be B2B)
- You need additional support in terms of product, design and development resources and want to work with experienced venture builders
“Highline Beta’s venture studio model accelerated our growth by 1-2 years. We had a Fortune 500 corporate partner from day one, an investor in Highline Beta, a team of 5 people, an office and a ton of support that allowed me to focus on the business.”— Greg Boutin, Founder and CEO, Relay