Innovation has never been more important
Companies large and small around the world must accelerate innovation to not only survive, but thrive. In these turbulent times, speed beats scale. No matter the size, all companies must act decisively and move fast.
Our approach to validating new opportunities moves through a rigorous process, guided by decades of entrepreneurial and investor experience.
Tangible, painful problems are your key to growth. We go beyond mega-trends to unlock true, unmet needs. Then we build your roadmap to create meaningful, new businesses.
Validate venture opportunities in 100 days or less. We work with you to discover assets you can leverage, frame business opportunities, and test, de-risk and refine your path forward.
We use our experience as entrepreneurs, product builders and investors to take a critical lens on everything we pursue, ultimately identifying investable opportunities that we can help scale together with you.
“With a fairly high level prompt and idea of what we wanted to explore, Highline Beta immediately dug in and got to work. They move very quickly, present well-thought out and strategic ideas and insights, and collaborate with us seamlessly. Every time we have a working session I’m excited for what the future holds, because Highline Beta provides actionable plans for how we can build new ventures and grow.”— Michael Bradie, Leader, Strategic Innovation, Green Shield Canada
1. How Discovery Works
In 60-90 days we aim to identify several venture concepts that have specific, meaningful problems faced by identifiable user and customer segments, in a sizeable market where you have a right to win, and an early hypothesis on the solution.
There are 7 questions that guide our Discovery process:
- Are there real, painful problems worth solving in this space?
- Who has these problems? What is the early adopter customer segment? What do we know about these people?
- How are people solving the problem(s) today and how is that insufficient?
- How big is the market?
- Is there a right to win in this space or an unfair advantage that can be leveraged?
- Are there already startups solving the problem(s) in the right way?
- What are potential solutions to the identified problems?
Discovery Framework: The Highline Beta Way
Deep consumer insights
We use the DVF framework to evaluate consumer needs. We talk to people, learn and synthesize actionable insights.
Right tool, right job
We combine an iterative Lean Startup framework, Design Thinking, and the practicality of Jobs to be Done to get to the truth and adapt to any situation in front of us.
We bring a venture capitalist’s lens to our work. We ask ourselves, “Would we invest in this concept?” The answer should be yes.
2. How Venture Validation Works
Our goal is to validate at least 1 venture concept with clarity around the potential solution(s), product roadmap, and go-to-market strategy. We aim to provide the business case and recommendations for how to take the validated venture concept forward.
During Venture Validation we accomplish the following key things:
- Clarity and validation around the problem, informed by consumer / customer insights
- Proposed solution, based on rapid prototyping and research into business feasibility and viability
- Target customer insights: who they are, where they are, personas; and Market opportunity: total addressable market / market potential
- We validate potential business models and aim to show early signs of traction
- Competitive assessment and scan
- Go-to-market strategy
- Next steps: This may include a roadmap for 3-6 months to build a minimum viable product (MVP), partner with (or invest / acquire) startups, or building a new startup
Discovery + Venture Validation = Path Forward
Our discovery and venture validation work provides corporate clients with optionality on how to move forward with growth initiatives. We believe in a portfolio approach, building some things in-house, partnering with startups and spinning out new startups. We make the recommendations we believe will be the best for achieving your innovation goals.