About the program
Safe × Connected Cities Accelerator is joining forces with some of the world's most innovative companies to work with startups that care about making people’s lives better. We’re looking for startups that want to proactively scale their businesses and test their products’ viability alongside leading corporations, industry professionals and experts around the world.
This collective program believes that by working together and strategically implementing solutions, we can create meaningful changes to urban environments. We invite innovative startups in verticals such as IoT, urban mobility, and the connectivity space to join us on a mission to test and implement solutions that can make cities safer and more connected one block at a time.
The Safe x Connected Cities Accelerator is a milestone-driven accelerator program for early-stage companies, with a mission to take on the chasm that every startup must cross: access to scale.
- Milestone-driven program structured to accelerate the growth of cohort companies with support from enterprise and startup network partners.
- Program takes place in Toronto across 2 stages lasting between 3 to 6 months (but presence in Toronto is not required full-time)
- First Stage [3 months]: Tailored programming to help companies design a proof-of-concept (POC) with one of our corporate partners.
- Second stage [3 months]: The successful proposals advance to the second milestone and get to launch and test the POC in market.
- No equity investment upfront; opportunity for follow-on investment from Highline Beta and Founding Partners
Why join the program?
- Connect. The program provides a low-risk platform to connect with enterprise partners and validate technologies, strategies, products, and ideas in close partnership with them and Highline Beta.
- Test. Through tailored programming and 1:1 coaching, the program helps startups get to a proof-of-concept faster with an opportunity for enterprise scale.
- Scale. Our enterprise network of leading smart city and mobility collaborators provide an industry-wide ‘unfair advantage’ that can only come from validated products and scale, which in turn amplifies brand awareness and fuels growth.
- Access funding. Potential funding and access to other institutional investors via the Highline Beta network.
July 22, 2019
October 13, 2019
January 7, 2020
Program Start Date
1st Challenge Area: Safer Roads
Trouble lingers on our roads. For ourselves, our families and our neighbours. We cannot ignore the dangers any longer. Whether we’re pedestrians or drivers, when it comes to overcrowded city roads and outdated infrastructure, it’s important to stay safe. How can we find a smarter way around and make our roads safer?
We are looking for startups that are specialized in road safety. Some examples include:
- Accurate Detection Solutions - Improving intersection safety through accurate detection of pedestrians, cyclists, cars and transit riders to inform decisions about traffic flow and priorities.
- Sensors & Digital Signage Solutions - Integrated navigation solutions that can communicate real-time information on speed limits, lane closures, road characteristics and traffic flow. Sensors and automation in vehicles that make them safer and innovations that make street crossings, cycling or multi-use streets safer.
- Data Solutions - Technologies that aggregate private sector and public data to look at the root causes of crashes and suggest interventions. Data solutions to help nationally standardize the collection of collision data.
- Improved Driving Solutions - Technology to curb distracted driving and reduce other risky driving behaviours. Innovations that help drivers see better and have more time to react.
- Cycling Safety – Advances in clothing, accessories and bicycle technology that makes street cycling safer. Interventions that reduce unsafe bicycle and motor vehicle interactions.
- Pedestrian Safety Solutions - Technology and interventions that make the most vulnerable road users safer. Advances that improve the walkability of streets and communities. Innovations that make school buses and other public transit safer when boarding and disembarking.
Read more...Powered by:
More challenges coming soon!
If you run a startup focused on mobility, community, or 'smart cities' feel free to apply, even if you don't specifically fit the criteria of our first challenge.
Join the Program
Applications for the program are now open!
CEO & Founding Partner
CPO & Founding Partner
Accelerator Operations Director
VP of Marketing
Corporate Responsibility Lead
Corporate Responsibility Consultant
SVP Data Science & Chief Data Officer
AVP Direct & Affinity
Chief Communications Officer
AVP, Claims Transformation
AVP Platform Transformation
AVP Digital Acquisition